Welcome to Mrs. Hills’ page on the Stoddert website.
Weekly Special Schedule:
Updates for the classroom:
- If your child runs a fever he/she needs to stay home for 24 hours after the fever stops. This is DCPS policy.
- The teacher rarely sees emails in the middle of the day since she is working with the students. If your child needs to be picked up early or there is a change of dismissal plans, please call the front office ((202) 671-6030) and let them know I need them to call me with this information.
- PLEASE make sure your child is in line at 8:40 a.m. Your child should not be arriving to school after Mrs. Hills has escorted the class in at 8:43. We get to work right away and your child should not feel that he/she has to play catch up. On Wednesdays, we leave the classroom at 8:55 in order to attend Spanish at 9 a.m. If your child is running late you need to take them to the office, because we will not be in the classroom.
- We are a nut free classroom. Please pack a healthy nut-free and mess free snack each day (no yogurt or applesauce).
Our Class will be using the following online tools throughout the year.
- First in Math : Math games
- Raz-Kids : Online reading program
- Johnnie’s Math Page : Math games
- I-Ready : Computerized math instruction for kids!
Your child will have a short break each morning to fuel up with a snack. Please send him/her to school each day with a DRY and MESS-FREE snack (ex., pretzels, grapes, cheese, goldfish, etc.). Please no applesauce or yogurt. The snack must be packed separately from the lunch. Do not send a snack which requires utensils or a straw. Your child is welcome to bring a bottle of water (no juice), but can opt to use the water fountain as well.
These folders are provided to each student and go back and forth each day. Please check the folder for any papers to be returned and/or important information.
Birthday Party Procedure:
Your child’s special day is very important. If you would like to send in a special treat in honor of your child’s birthday, such as cupcakes or cookies, please contact Mrs. Hills at least one week prior so she can set time aside for the treat. Please do not send in a treat without making arrangements in advance. We can’t have an actual party in the classroom, just a short time set aside for a treat. Thank you in advance for contacting me ahead of time if you would like to make such arrangements.
By the end of first grad, students should be able to compute facts to 5 from memory. This means providing the answer instantly. In addition, students should be able to compute facts to 10 using and justifying the most effective strategy for the fact. Lastly, they need to be able to solve facts to 20 using whichever strategy the student feels comfortable using. With all facts, students should be able to answer both addition and subtraction with the unknown in all places.
The expectation is that first graders will be able to solve these facts quickly, so please practice at home gaining fluency and using strategies with addition and subtraction facts to 20 with unknown in all places. First graders should be able to manipulate numbers, and understand the relationship between numbers. Place practice the strategies at home even if your child is tong with computation.
Each student will be given an iReady account so they can use it for math practice at home.