We are currently on a wait-list. Please fill out the Waiting List Form below to enter the wait-list. If space opens up this school year, we will contact you via email with an update.
Please note, there are other child care options available to Stoddert families. Click on the links below for more detailed information:
Option 1 – DPR @ Stoddert
Option 2 – Jelleff
Please email us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After School Clubs – Registration for Spring 2020 clubs is now closed. After school clubs will *only* be open to students who are enrolled in the Extended Day Program (EDP). NO EXCEPTIONS.
Welcome to another exciting year at the Benjamin Stoddert Elementary School’s Extended Day Program!
The Extended Day Program (EDP) offers before and after school childcare throughout the school year for a limited number of students in grades pre-K through 5. The before care program operates from 7:30 – 8:45 am; the after care program operates from 3:15 – 6:00 pm. After care is also provided from 12:15 – 6:00 pm on District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) half days (with the exception of the last day of school when there is no after care).
For the 2019-2020 school year, before and after care is available to enrolled children in grades K-5 starting on the first day of school on Monday, August 26, 2019. Children in pre-Kindergarten may start to attend before and after care on the first full day that they begin school.
The EDP maintains a financial, administrative, and collaborative decision-making relationship with the Stoddert PTO. The EDP is a tax-exempt business (EIN #52-1195083) that is not supplemented by DCPS, but is funded solely through parental payments. In order to participate in the EDP, all families must pay their 2019-2020 PTO dues.
The information on this page provides details about the program’s rules, policies, and procedures, and serves as a parent/guardian handbook.
The objective of the EDP is to provide safe, caring, and relaxed play-based childcare.
The primary focus is on outdoor play (weather permitting), although a variety of enrichment classes are offered where your child can develop and explore other interests (additional fees will apply). The use of hand-held electronic devices and/or cell phones is not permitted during before or after care.
The Director of the program and the staff are chosen first and foremost for their dedication to children and their desire to create a safe, nurturing, respectful and fun environment for the children under their care. All EDP staff who are not Stoddert teachers have been processed and fingerprinted through the DCPS Central Office. Many of the staff are the parents of Stoddert alumni or current students, Stoddert alumni themselves, and/or teachers in the school and, therefore, have a real stake in seeing that the program is a success.
Security and Safety
Our first priority is that your child be safe and secure while attending before and/or after care. For this reason, the following security measures have been implemented:
- Each child must be picked up and signed out of after care by an authorized person. Only persons named on your child’s registration form can pick up and sign out your child without additional notice.
- If alternative arrangements for pick up have been or need to be made, the Director must be informed via email, or parents can update attendance using our online attendance app which is both iPhone & Android compatible. No child will be released to a person who does not satisfy one of these conditions!
- Children attending the program may not leave the Stoddert school grounds for classes, team practice, or for other reasons without an email to the Director or by updating attendance via the attendance app.
- Please notify the Director if your child will not be attending before or after care on any given day.
- Correct contact information is essential in the event of an emergency! Please provide the Director with any changes to contact information throughout the school year.
Enrollment Options and Procedure
The EDP offers:
- Full-time before school childcare for a limited number of children from 7:30 – 8:45 am (Please note that an adult must escort any child attending before care into the school building and sign in the child with a staff member).
- Full-time after school childcare for a limited number of children from 3:15 – 6:00 pm.
- Part-time after school childcare for a limited number of children from 3:15 – 6:00 pm 2 days per week.
- Drop-in childcare services are not available for after care.
- No child can attend before or after care until all required paperwork has been received and processed.
- No EDP registration form for the coming school year will be accepted or processed until any outstanding balance owed to the program has been paid in full.
Days of Operation, School Closings, and Early Dismissal
- The EDP operates Monday through Friday on all days that students attend classes throughout the 10-month school year.
- On half days, the after care program runs from early dismissal at 12:15 pm to the usual 6:00 pm. There is an additional fee charged per child for any child attending after care for any amount of time on half days.
- There is *no* before or after care on any days that DCPS is closed.
- There is *no* after care if DCPS orders early school closing for any reason during the day (e.g. snowstorms).
- There is *no*before care if DCPS calls for a late opening (after care, however, should operate as usual).
Fees and Payment Options
- Billing for the EDP is done on a prospective basis, with the first day of each billing cycle beginning on the first day of each month for the duration of the school year.
- Payment is due no later than the 5th day of the month during which childcare services are provided.
- The fee for before care is $80.00 per month per child (rates for 2019-2020 school year).
- The fee for after care is $195.00 per month per child (rates for 2019-2020 school year).
- The fee for part-time after care is $99.00 per month per child (rates for 2019-2020 school year).
- Drop-in service – EDP offers $15 morning care drop-ins and $25 aftercare drop-ins per student per drop-in. This additional as needed service is offered *only* to students in the EDP program who use at least one of the full-time / part-time services.
- Payment is made by credit card only. No exceptions.
- All families must pay their current school year PTO dues in order to participate in the EDP for that year. (For example, paying the 2019-2020 PTO dues while enrolled in EDP for the 2019-2020 school year). Dues can be paid in one lump sum or can be divided into equal payments that are added to the monthly EDP billing statement throughout the 10 months of the school year.
- Families enrolled in the Free and Reduced Meal (FARM) program are entitled to a reduction in childcare fees and PTO dues. Please speak with the Director about the documents needed to qualify for a reduction in fees and PTO dues.
- There is a $1.00 per minute late fee charged for any child picked up after 6:00 pm. The late fee must be paid, in cash, at the time of pick up.
- A $25.00 late fee is assessed against all account balances after the 5th of the month.
- Requests for a change in enrollment status or withdrawal from the program must be made by submitting a “Request for Change in Enrollment Status” form no later than the 25th day of the month prior to the month when the change in enrollment status is requested to become effective.
- There will be no refunds or pro-rata reduction in fees for the month when a “Request for Change in Enrollment Status” form is submitted after the 25th day of the previous month (a refund or pro-rata reduction may be possible, at the discretion of the Director).
- Change in enrollment from part to full-time after care is made at the discretion of the Director and subject to availability of space.
- Participation in the EDP may be suspended if monthly fees are not paid in a timely manner. If you are having difficulties paying your fees, please contact the Director as soon as possible.
The program’s goal is to create an environment where the children and staff feel safe, protected and respected. In order to foster an appreciation of their rights as well as the rights of others, the children will follow the EDP rules:
- Follow all school rules. Since we use school facilities, we must continue to follow the same rules after school hours.
- Follow directions given by EDP staff.
- Respect the rights, privacy, personal space and possessions of others.
- Stay in assigned areas under the supervision of EDP staff or any other adult working with the program.
- Show respect for all property and equipment.
- Use appropriate language.
- Use the restrooms appropriately.
- No sharing or throwing food, clean up your space after eating snack and throw away trash.
- Do not throw rocks or other harmful objects.
- No fighting or bullying.
- Hand-held electronic devices and/or cell phones will not be used during before or after care.
If a child violates the rules, the EDP staff or director will communicate with the child(ren) involved to discuss the violation and try to find a resolution. A parent/guardian will be notified about serious and/or repeated misbehavior and a mandatory conference will be arranged to discuss the issue. Repeated violation of the rules may result in a child being suspended or no longer allowed to participate in the program. Behavior that endangers the health or safety of any child or adult may result in immediate suspension and/or termination from participation in the program. Our main goal is to maintain a safe and harmonious environment.
Children not enrolled in enrichment classes go outside to play on the playground (weather permitting), during before care from 8:15-8:45 am; and during after care from 3:30-4:10 PM and again from 4:30-5:50 PM (snack is given in the cafeteria from 4:10-4:30 PM).
You must provide your child with appropriate clothing to be able to go outside and play during those times.
- Please notify the EDP Director if your child is unable to go outside to play on any given day due to a recent illness.
- All clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc. should be labeled with your child’s name.
- Items left in the cafeteria at the end of the day will be placed in the lost and found box located in the school lobby.
The majority of the EDP staff has been trained in CPR and basic first aid. No EDP staff person may administer medication to any child in the program. If your child must have medication on hand to treat a serious illness or condition (i.e. asthma, life threatening allergy) please contact the director.
In the event of a serious injury or illness a parent/guardian will be notified. If the parents/guardians cannot be reached immediately, the emergency contact numbers on the emergency contact form will be called.
If an emergency requires immediate medical attention, 911 will be called.
If your child has been home due to illness, he/she should be feeling well and fever free for a minimum of 24 hours before returning to the EDP.
A child who requires treatment with antibiotics for an infectious illness must have taken the antibiotic for at least 24 hours before returning to the EDP.
Toys From Home
Toys get lost or broken; for this reason, we ask that your child does not bring toys from home. The EDP will not be responsible for lost, broken, or missing toys. The use of hand-held electronic devices and/or cell phones is not permitted during before or after care.
Communication With Staff
Please do not hesitate to share any concerns that you or your child may have; suggestions for ideas about how we can improve the program; and/or any information that you think would help us provide the best and most supportive care for your child. Each child’s wellbeing is our top priority, and the program staff is dedicated to keeping your children happy and safe.
EDP Advisory Board
The Stoddert Extended Day Program (EDP) Advisory Board provides general oversight for the Stoddert EDP and advises the EDP Director. The EDP Advisory Board includes several Stoddert parent volunteers who serve as chairperson, treasurer, and secretary; the EDP Director; and a representative from the Stoddert PTO Executive Board.
If you have any questions or for additional information, please contact:
Stoddert EDP Director
Stoddert EDP Advisory Board President