October 28, 2020
Dear Stoddert Families,
Thank you to so many of you who were able to join last week’s Roundtable Discussion. With over 90 participants, the constructive dialogue between parents, teachers and staff was a real testament to how much this community cares, respects and collaborates to come up with real solutions, as we continue to find ourselves in this unprecedented situation.
We wanted to take this opportunity to summarize some of the key points made during the discussion as well as some next steps and will continue to follow up with you as more gets formalized. We will be hosting other Roundtables on a monthly basis, and will ensure the dates are announced early so you can plan accordingly and join if you are able.
So what did we talk about and how can YOU help?
COMMUNICATION: Staying on top of everything while being remote, working, homeschooling and everything in between, has its challenges. There are classroom-related emails, school emails, and DCPS announcements — but it is also imperative to be informed as things continue to evolve and change. So here’s a quick list of communication tools you can use and/or should subscribe to:
- Stoddert Emails:
- Classroom-Related Emails will come from your child’s teachers and/or Room Parents
- School-Related Emails will come from the Stoddert Chalkboard. Please subscribe to this if you have not already: https://www.stoddert.org/news-and-events/chalkboard/
- Fridays: Principal Bryant sends out his weekly update, as necessary.
- Sundays: The PTO sends out a weekly email with up-to-date information, school closures, helpful links and more.
- Stoddert Calendar:
- The PTO updates and maintains our Stoddert-specific calendar throughout the year. We highly encourage you to ADD this calendar to your own by clicking on the “Export Events” Tab at the bottom. You can find the Calendar here: http://www.stoddert.org/events/
- DCPS-Related Updates:
- DCPS Emails: Sign up to get the latest information from DCPS and Chancellor Ferebee – these emails have different information than the ones Stoddert sends out and include details around school reopening, live virtual town hall meetings, updates from the Mayor and her office and more. Subscribe here: https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1352156/1351583.363984799/
- DCPS Reopen Strong Updates: https://dcpsreopenstrong.com
- Stoddert Reopen Strong Updates (as per DCPS): https://dcpsreopenstrong.com/school-checklists/stoddert/
- Latest Update from the Mayor: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/coronavirus/page_content/attachments/Situational-Update-Presentation_10-22-20.pdf
COMMUNITY: Throughout the Roundtable Discussion, many parents and teachers alike voiced the desire and need to have our community come together more. As a result, a virtual Halloween celebration has been scheduled for Thursday, October 29!! More school-wide or community-wide events will be planned in the coming weeks – so stay tuned!
FACILITIES: DCPS has scheduled a building readiness tour for planned reopening on Thursday October 29. It will last 60 to 90 minutes and the following people may take part per DCPS:
- School Principal or designee
- WTU Building Rep (Mr. O’Beirne)
- LSAT Chair or designee
- One teacher member of LSAT (other than WTU Building Rep)
- One parent member of LSAT
- One member of the SCAC (other than the WTU Building Rep)
- Custodial foreman
- School nurse assigned to the building
We will be sure to send an update on any findings in this Sunday’s chalkboard. In the meantime, we encourage you to review the Reopen Strong Stoddert page maintained by DCPS available at https://dcpsreopenstrong.com/school-checklists/stoddert/
DCPS: We wanted to share who the LSAT and Teachers Union representatives are for the year:
|Washington Teacher Union and School Chapter Advisory Committee||LSAT|
|Brian O’Beirne (Union Rep)||Lauren Welsh (Chair)|
|Emily Busick, Mark McCants, Ginger Jacobs, Mary Lou Bruno, Kelley Lasov, MaryAnne Prosser, Nikki Allinson||Lisa McCluskey, Megan Rouhier, Debby Rager*, Michelle Leonard*, Lucie Leblois, Jorge Highland|
|Lauren Guaraldo, Robert Moore, Brian O’Beirne, Wanda Martin, Eve-Lyn Turmail, MaryAnne Prosser, Julie Schneider, Mark McCants, Ibis Villegas, Don Bryant|
|*to be voted on at Nov PTO meeting|
A few last points and key reminders:
- Monday, November 2 will be a regular virtual school day
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Tuesday, November 3 (Election Day)
- Virtual classes will be in session with asynchronous instruction on Wednesday, November 4 and Thursday, November 5 (DCPS-mandated)
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Friday, November 6 (Teacher Records Day and Professional Development)
- Our next PTO Meeting is taking place Wednesday, November 11. We will send out a zoom link that week. Please join if you can.
- And as always, please help us support our schools, teachers and kids by paying your PTO Dues. We are looking for 100% participation – anything you are able to contribute goes a long way. Donate here: https://www.stoddert.org/donate/
We hope this information is helpful to you as we all continue to navigate through this unprecedented time. As always, please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions at email@example.com.
In the meantime, rest assured that Stoddert is as strong as ever, with our teachers and staff working together to make sure each and every student is taken care of. We stand uniquely positioned to come out stronger with our community so committed to each other. So thank you – to each and everyone of you, for your partnership and support as we continue on this journey together.
Jorge & Lucie