August 28, 2020
Dear Stoddert Families,
On behalf of all Stoddert teachers and staff members, we welcome you to the start of SY20/21. Although our preference would have been to start the school year with classrooms full of eager students, we are ready to “play the cards we’re dealt,” and get the year off to a great start.
You are your child’s first and most important teacher. We know that the current pandemic situation has thrust you into an even larger teacher role, and we truly appreciate the efforts you’re making to advance your children’s learning.
As is the case with all DCPS schools, SY20/21 begins at Stoddert with three guiding principles:
- Maximizing learning for all students, and providing rigorous, joyful learning experiences
- Promoting equity, and ensuring that students have access to needed learning resources
- Prioritizing safety, and implementing robust safety protocols
Teachers have already communicated daily schedules to you. Those schedules provide synchronous instruction in the mornings, and a mix of synchronous and asynchronous instruction in the afternoons. Your child’s day will begin at 8:45 with either a classroom morning meeting or a school-wide Town Hall. On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday the day will end with a closing circle activity at 2:45. On Wednesday afternoons your child will be engaged in asynchronous learning, and teachers will be engaged in collaborative planning time.
We distributed learning devices on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week. If you are still in need of a device for your child, please schedule an appointment by contacting Terri Thompson at Terri.email@example.com.
Here are some guidelines to help your children have successful distance learning experiences:
Create a Workspace for Learning
- Find a quiet place with as little distraction as possible.
- Make sure the space is large enough to accommodate electronic devices and learning materials.
- Develop a routine and discuss with your child each day’s schedule.
Setting Your Child for Success
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep.
- Make sure your child has breakfast before school starts.
- Students should dress appropriately when they are participating in live sessions.
- Allow breaks and body movement throughout the day.
Materials that will Support your Child for Learning
- Have a device fully charged and ready to go with internet access.
- Papers, pens or other writing utensils are helpful to have on hand so your child can take notes, capture their mathematical thinking, or respond with drawings.
- Have a healthy snack ready to help keep your child engaged and fueled for learning.
Live (Synchronous) Session Expectations
- Be on time for each live session.
- Be in a quiet area with the video on.
- Keep eyes on the screen during a lesson.
- Actively follow along and participate.
- Mute your microphone until it is your turn to speak.
- Use the chat box but keep comments and questions appropriate and respectful.
- Students should participate independently of adult help as much as possible.
- Please reach out to teachers by phone or email when you have questions.
- Teachers’ hours of availability are 8:15-3:30.
- The Stoddert Tech Hotline is available to help with technology or login issues: 202-480-9474.
Many thanks to those of you who were able to attend our virtual Sneak Peek, and our PK and Kindergarten orientation. We hope your participation in those events relieved some of your stress and anxiety about the new school year.
Our Back-to-School Night will take place virtually this year on Thursday, September 10 at 6:30 p.m.
You will receive more details and log-in information in the coming days.
As always, thanks for your continued support.
Principal Bryant and Assistant Principal Villegas