Greetings Stoddert Families!
We hope that everyone enjoyed their time at Back to School Night and Town Hall on Thursday! The Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) has been gearing up for another great year. But we can’t do what we do without help from all Stoddert Families. Part of what makes Stoddert the wonderful place it is, is all the different ways our families contribute to the school. If you would like to get involved with the PTO this year, we encourage you to attend a monthly PTO meeting, volunteer for a school event, and join the PTO by making a tax-deductible donation.
You may be asking yourself why you have to donate to the school when Stoddert is publicly funded, and you wouldn’t be wrong to wonder. DC Public Schools allocate money to each school, but what Stoddert receives isn’t nearly enough to support our children’s education or enhance their experience.
The PTO supplements so much that our children wouldn’t otherwise benefit from. These are just some of the things that have made Stoddert such a highly sought-after school:
- Science lab supplies
- Computer lab – software licenses, replacing computers
- Software Programs that your child’s teacher will provide Log In info for which supplements their learning in new and fun ways. They think it’s a game but they are learning to read.
- Supplies for the library
- Bikes for the Phys Ed Department
- Supplementing the garden program and farmer’s market
- Lice nets to protect the kids from shared helmets
- Grade level experiences – 5th grade ballroom dancing, 4th grade skiing trips, 3rd grade ice skating
- School wide events like International Night, the Ice Cream Truck on the last day at school
- Teacher stipends: Teachers can use this stipend for things in the classroom, such as, books, rugs, decorations, furniture, or anything else they may need to make the classroom a warm and nurturing environment.
The suggested contribution is $400 per family. Our target goal this year is to raise $87,000 and our target family participation is 100%.
Thank you for all you do for our school! We look forward to a great year ahead!