April 12, 2019
Dear Stoddert Families,
At our April PTO meeting I shared information about staffing and personnel for SY19/20, and I want to use this update to share the same information with all our families.
We’ll have several familiar faces in different places for SY19/20, as well as a few new faces:
- Assistant Principal Villegas has made the decision to return to an instructional position. She’s been our Assistant Principal for four years, and has done a fabulous job. For SY19/20 she will serve as our Reading Specialist, replacing Mrs. Iris Ogburn who is retiring.
- Mr. Cedric Scott is currently our Math Instructional Coach, and will be our new Assistant Principal for SY19/20. Our students’ math achievement has soared during Mr. Scott’s tenure as Math Coach, and he will continue to lead that work next year in addition to his Assistant Principal duties.
- Mr. Mark McCants is currently leading our SEM (Schoolwide Enrichment Model) program. For SY19/20 he’ll continue that work, with an increased emphasis on science, technology, and engineering. Accordingly, his title is going to be changed from SEM teacher to STEM teacher. We are not doing away with our SEM work; instead, we are adding to that work.
- We will be adding two positions to support our English Language Learner (ELL) students: one additional ELL teacher, and a Bilingual Counselor. These two positions have been assigned to Stoddert by the DCPS Language Acquisition Division (LAD), based upon an increase in our ELL population. Mrs. Kathleen Smith, who is currently a Special Education teacher at Stoddert, will be transferring to the ELL teacher position, and we’re looking for an external candidate to fill the Bilingual Counselor position. It’s important to note that the Bilingual Counselor is in addition to – and will not replace – our regular Guidance Counselor, who is Wanda Zachary.
- Mrs. Kathleen Smith’s transfer from Special Education teacher to ELL teacher has created a vacancy for a Special Education teacher, so we’re looking for an external candidate to fill that vacancy.
- We will be adding a third 5th-grade classroom for SY19/20, because next year’s 5th-grade enrollment is expected to be over 60 students. We will begin the interview process for that vacancy during the week of April 22nd.
- Due to budget constraints, we’ve been forced to reduce our Science Specialist position from full-time to half-time. We’re very fortunate to have Mrs. Julie Schneider continue serving as our Science Specialist in that half-time role for SY19/20.
- Finally, we successfully petitioned for an above-budget allocation to hire a half-time office clerk for SY19/20. We are now serving 90 more families than we were when I came to Stoddert six years ago, so this extra office support is truly needed.
As always, I thank you for your continued support. Have a great Spring Break week!