Gardeners and Farmers are extremely busy during the months of January through March, and so are
garden teachers! Our students have begun an engaging inquiry-based food literacy curriculum focusing on
such topics as:
- the story of food
- seed to table, where does our food come from?
- taking a look at the newly recommended but not mandatory four food groups, i.e. fruit, whole grains, vegetables, and legumes
- students will be able to recognize both, the local food system and the industrial food system.
- students will be involved in the germination of seeds indoor for our upcoming garden and Spring
- Farmers Market
- Over the next two garden classes , our students will learn that every food has a story, but for many foods that story is a mystery. We will begin investigating the story behind food.
- Students are asked to bring in labels from foods purchased at home. Finally, we will review and revisit our past garden experience with the mason and leafcutter bees.
We are Stoddert, the school that gardens year round!