Friday, December 7, 2018
Dear Stoddert Family:
OSSE is scheduled to release the new DC School Report Card today, which will give DC families a look into all public schools in the District. The report card will include each school’s rating on the School Transparency and Reporting (STAR) Framework.
The STAR Framework uses multiple data points to measure a school’s performance in the following areas:
- Academic Achievement: measures student performance on PARCC, MSAA, and the SAT.
- Academic Growth: measures student progress on PARCC.
- Academic Growth measures include the percentage of students in 4th and 5th grade who moved from PARCC Levels 1, 2, or 3 the previous year to PARCC Level 4 the next year.
- English Language Proficiency: measures the progress of English learners in speaking, listening, reading, and writing in English.
- Graduation Rate: (for high schools) measures how many students receive their regular diploma in four years.
- School Environment: measures chronic absenteeism, daily attendance, and the re-enrollment of students from one year to the next.
- Attendance measures include average daily attendance, and the percentage of students who are in attendance 90% of more of days
Performance in each of those areas is reported for all students, and also for student subgroups which include at least 10 students. Stoddert’s report card includes a total of 86 measures about the performance of these groups:
- All students
- Black/African American students
- Hispanic/Latino students
- SPED students
- ELL students
- At-risk students
Each DCPS school will receive a rating of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Stars, based upon the total points earned from these measures. The goal is for schools to receive a rating of 4 or 5 Stars.
- Schools earning 0-19 points will receive a 1 Star rating
- Schools earning 20-39 points will receive a 2 Star rating
- Schools earning 40-59 points will receive a 3 Star rating
- Schools earning 60-78 points will receive a 4 Star rating
- Schools earning 80-100 points will receive a 5 Star rating
Stoddert’s point total is 78.95, which identifies us as one of the higher performing schools in DCPS, and a 4 Star school. Our STAR rating is only 1.05 points from a 5 Star rating.
In the coming weeks we’ll take a hard look at all 86 data points to identify strengths and opportunities for improvement, and plan our next steps. I have great confidence that we’ll be able to collectively plan next steps to move us to a 5 Star rating in SY19/20.
As always, thanks for your continued support.