5-7-5! Create your own Haiku and enter to win prizes!
In celebration of this year’s auction party, the PTO is hosting a haiku contest. Click here for more information about the auction and to purchase tickets.
Entries will be divided into adults and students. Student are divided by 2 age groups, PreK-2 and 3-5.
What is haiku?
A short, descriptive form of poetry originated in Japan. Haiku usually focuses on a simple brief observation of nature, seasons, animals, or brief moment in time.
What will you win?
- Have your haiku published in the Glover Park Gazette, GP listserv and Stoddert website.
- Read over the morning announcements at school.
- Displayed at school and at the party at Town Hall.
- Win a restaurant gift card!
All poems must follow the 5-7-5 format, be original and suitable for a young audience. Entries are due by April 12 and must be written legibly or hand typed.
- There are only three lines, totaling 17 syllables.
- The first line is 5 syllables.
- The second line is 7 syllables.
- The third line is 5 syllables like the first.
- Punctuation and capitalization are up to the poet
- A haiku does not have to rhyme, in fact usually it does not rhyme at all, haiku can include the repetition of words or sounds
How to Enter:
Pay $10 online through the auction webpage or submit a check/cash with your entry. Entries are due via email or to the school office by April 12 at 5pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or submit to Stoddert PTO Auction Haiku via the office. You may also print out this auction haiku form.
All proceeds from the haiku contest and the auction go to the PTO to benefit all students at Stoddert.
Please contact email@example.com for any questions.
Thank you and we can’t wait to read the entries!