The following is the text of a letter from Stoddert’s PTO president. This letter was included in the welcome packet mailed home…
Dear Stoddert Families:
Hello from your Stoddert Parent Teacher Organization! We hope that you are having a great summer. We are thrilled to welcome you and your children to the Stoddert community.
WHO IS THE STODDERT PTO?
The Stoddert PTO is an organization of parent and teacher volunteers that support the school and enhance each and every child’s education in and out of the classroom. Part of what makes Stoddert a great place to learn is the widespread support and engagement from our very active parent community.
WHAT DOES THE PTO DO?
Throughout the year, the PTO supports school initiatives or activities, hosts events and works with DC government agencies to a) foster a strong school community; b) provide opportunities that reaches every student and; c) improve Stoddert with each year.
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT THE STODDERT PTO?
The PTO supports initiatives, activities and events that reach every Stoddert student and parent. Stoddert PTO volunteers maintain our school website (www.stoddert.org), write and distribute an e-mail newsletter, The Chalkboard, and hold events such as Potluck & Pizza, Family Fun Night and International Night. We are also involved at the policy level, working with the school administration during budget discussions and with other area schools on larger policy issues such as the fight to keep the Fillmore Arts Program open. Here’s how you can help:
- Pay Your Dues – The PTO requests support from every family because every family benefits from the PTO’s activities and events. The suggested amount is $400 per family. We understand that not every family will give at this level but we encourage you to give what is financially comfortable. Please see the enclosed “Count Us In” flier for more information on how to donate and what dues support. Click here to pay your dues online.
- Volunteer – Just as important, the PTO and the school needs and welcomes your volunteer spirit! Please attend PTO meetings, consider volunteering at an event or get involved in your own way – there are many jobs to fill and we need your help! Click here for more volunteer needs.
- Shop – There are many other ways to support the Stoddert PTO through shopping with AmazonSmile, collecting Box Tops, and attending our Restaurant Nights. For more information on these programs, visit the Support section on our website.
HOW DO I STAY INFORMED?
The Stoddert PTO strives to inform parents of all that is happening at Stoddert. Our website and e-mail newsletter are the main channels of communication. Please notify the front office if you do not have a phone or computer with which to check either of these options.
- Website – We invite you to explore the Stoddert website at www.stoddert.org. The website, which is maintained by PTO volunteers, is mobile friendly and contains the most current information about the school and daily life at Stoddert.
- E-mail Newsletter – The Chalkboard is the PTO’s weekly e-mail newsletter and is produced by PTO volunteers. It is a main source of information for much of what is happening at Stoddert. For all parents, new and returning, please ensure that you sign up to receive The Chalkboard and read it to stay informed.
- Direct Contact – On the website you’ll find a complete list of the PTO executive board and committee members. Should you wish to contact the PTO directly, you may reach the president, Jen Perry, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome your feedback and questions.
- Family Directory – We encourage all families to sign up for the Stoddert Family & Business Directory. It is useful for arranging play dates, planning birthday parties, getting to know neighbors and more. Sign up online on our website or fill out the form provided in this welcome packet. The directory is made available on our website through an encrypted file to which only Stoddert parents have access. To obtain the password, email our Communications team at email@example.com.
I’D LOVE TO SEE MY CHILD’S CLASSROOM BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS. CAN I DO THAT?
Yes! All families are invited to attend our Sneak Peek event on Friday, August 19, 2016 from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. at Stoddert. This is an opportunity for you, and your child, to visit classrooms and ask questions about the basics, hopefully contributing to a smooth first day of school. Please know that the faculty is taking time out of their busy prep week to open classrooms, so we strongly encourage all families to be at the school at 2:30 p.m. sharp, because the classrooms will be promptly closing at 3:00 pm.
I’M NEW TO STODDERT. HOW DO I MEET OTHER FAMILIES?
Attend the PTO Welcome Committee’s Playdate for New Families. Bring your children and your questions to Guy Mason Park (corner of Wisconsin and Calvert) on Saturday, August 20, 2016 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. This is an opportunity for new children to get to know one another and for parents to connect and have questions answered in an informal setting. If you have questions, reach out to the Stoddert PTO’s Welcome Committee co-chair, Elizabeth Peyster.
In closing, we urge you to visit our website for the latest events and information. Thank you for choosing Stoddert as your child’s school. It’s going to be a fantastic year and we look forward to supporting each and every child inside and outside of the classroom!