Extended Day Program
Extended Day Program — Welcome!
Welcome to a fun filled year at the Benjamin Stoddert Elementary School’s Extended Day Program!
The Stoddert Extended Day Program offers before and after school childcare throughout the school year to Stoddert students in grades Pre-Kindergarten-5. The Before Care program operates from 7:30 to 8:45 AM; the After Care program operates from 3:15 – 6:00 PM. After care is also provided from 12:15 – 6:00 PM on District of Columbia School (DCPS) half days (with the exception of the last day of school when there is no After Care).
For the 2014-2015 school year, Before and After Care is available to children in grades Kindergarten-5 starting on the first day of school on Monday, August 25, 2014. Children in Pre-Kindergarten may begin the Program on the first full day that they begin school.
The Extended Day Program is sponsored through the Stoddert PTA. This program is a tax-exempt business (EIN #52-1195083) that is not supplemented by the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS), but is funded by parental payments. In order to participate in the Program all families must pay their 2014-2015 PTA dues. If you anticipate difficulty with payment for services, please contact the Director.
The following provides pertinent information about the Program’s rules and policies.
The objective of the Program is to provide a safe, caring, and relaxed play-based childcare. The primary focus is on outdoor play (weather permitting) although a variety of activities and clubs are offered so that your child can develop and explore other interests as well (additional fees may apply). A healthy snack is provided each afternoon (two snacks are provided when the program is run on half days).
The Director of the Program and the staff are chosen first and foremost for their dedication to children and their desire to create a safe, nurturing, respectful and fun environment for the children under their care. Many of the staff are the parents of Stoddert Alumni or current students, Stoddert Alumni themselves, and/or teachers in the school and, therefore, have a real stake in seeing that the Program is a success.
Enrollment Options and Procedure
The Program offers:
- Before Care (from 7:30 AM to 8:45 AM)
- Full-Time After Care (from 3:15 PM to 6:00 PM)
- Part-Time After Care (2 days per week).
- There is a Before and/or After Care Drop-in Care service available for families enrolled in the Program who need additional days of childcare on an as needed basis. Your child must be registered either full or part-time in order to participate in Drop-In Care.
Please provide a minimum of 24 hours advance notice if your child will be going to either Before or After Care Drop-In. An adult must escort any child attending Before Care into the school building and sign in the child with a staff member.
Click here to access the 2014-2015 Online Parent Registration form for enrollment in the Stoddert Extended Day Program.
Please note that your child cannot begin to attend the Extended Day Program until we have received the required paperwork and any remaining outstanding balance for the 2013-2014 school year has been paid in full. (Note: All forms are provided as Google documents. If you have any trouble with the link above, make certain that your browser is not blocking cookies from Google Docs.)
The After Care program has an enrollment cap of 150 students per day. If enrollment capacity is reached a notice will be posted online. At that time, requests for new registrations or changes from part-time to full-time status must be made by submitting a “2014-2015 Extended Day Program: Waiting List” form. Requests are honored on a first come, first serve basis.
Days of Operation, School Closings, and Early Dismissal
- The Extended Day Program operates Monday through Friday on all regular days that classes are held throughout the 10-month school year.
- On Half Days, the Program runs from early dismissal at 12:15 to 6:00 PM. There is an additional fee of $20.00 per child to attend After Care on Half Days
- There is no Before or After Care on any days that the District of Columbia Public School (DCPS) system is closed.
- There is no After Care if the DCPS system orders early school closing for any reason during the day (e.g. snowstorms).
- There is no Before Care if the DCPS system calls for a late opening, however, After Care should operate as usual.
Fees and Payment Options
- Billing for the Extended Day Program is done on a prospective basis, with the first day of each billing cycle beginning on the first day of each month for the duration of the school year.
- Payment is due no later than the fifth day of the month during which childcare services are provided. Payments run from September 5th through June 5th.
- The fee for Before Care is $65.00 per month per child.
- The fee for After Care is $160.00 per month per child.
- The fee for Part-Time After Care is $80.00 per month per child.
- The fee for Before Care Drop-In is $10.00 per morning per child.
- The fee for After Care Drop-In is $15.00 per afternoon per child.
- Payment can be made by cash, check, or credit card
Click here to access the 2014-2015 Payment Method Update form if you want to change your payment method or need to update your credit card.
- There is a $1.00 per minute late fee charged for any child picked up after 6:00 PM. The late fee must be paid, in cash, at the time of pick up.
- A $25.00 late fee is assessed against all account balances after the 5th of the month.
- Requests for withdrawal from the Program or a change in enrollment status must be made by submitting a “Request for Change in Enrollment Status” form no later than the 25th day of the month prior to the month when the change in enrollment status is requested to become effective.
Click here to access the 2014-2015 Request for Change in Enrollment Status form.
- There will be no refunds or pro-rata reduction in fees for the month when a request for a change in enrollment status becomes effective if the “Request for Change in Enrollment Status” form is submitted after the 25th day of the previous month (a refund or pro-rata reduction may be possible, at the discretion of the Director, if your child has a prolonged (i.e. more than one week) illness).
- Change in enrollment from Part to Full-Time After Care is made at the discretion of the Director subject to availability of space.
- Participation in the Extended Day Program may be suspended if monthly fees are not paid in a timely manner. If you are having difficulties paying your fees, please contact the Director as soon as possible.
The Extended Day Program is not affiliated with the DCPS breakfast program. If your child is enrolled in the Morning Care Program, you must pay for breakfast with the cafeteria personnel and the Extended Day staff will monitor them. Breakfast is served starting at 8:00 AM. If your child is not part of the Morning Care Program, YOU must escort your child in for breakfast and monitor them.
The Extended Day staff is not responsible for any child on the school grounds not enrolled and participating in the Before Care Program.
Security and Safety
Our first priority is that your child be safe and secure while attending the Before and/or After Care Program. For this reason, the following security measures have been implemented:
- Each child must be picked up and signed out of After Care by an authorized person. Only persons named on your child’s registration form can pick up and sign out your child without additional notice.
- If alternative arrangements for pick up have been or need to be made, the Director or a member of the staff must be informed in person, in writing or email, or by phone with the name of the person who is authorized to pick up your child prior to pick up. No child will be released to a person who does not satisfy conditions 1 or 2!
- Children attending the Program may not leave the Stoddert School grounds for classes, team practice, or for other reasons without an email or a permission note with your signature.
- Please notify the Director if your child will not be attending Before or After Care on any given day.
The Program tries to create a caring environment where the children feel safe, protected and respected. In order to foster an appreciation of their rights as well as the rights of others we will follow certain guidelines regarding discipline. Inappropriate language and/or behavior with children and/or adults is unacceptable. Upon the first instance of such behavior, the staff of the extended day Program will communicate with the child/ren involved to find a resolution. If the behavior is repeated again, the parent/guardian will be notified and a mandatory conference will be arranged to discuss the issue. If the behavior continues the child may be suspended or no longer allowed to participate in the Program. Behavior that endangers the health or safety of any child or adult may result in immediate suspension and/or termination from participation in the Program. Our main goal is to maintain a safe and harmonious environment.
Children not enrolled in enrichment classes will go outside to play on the playground, weather permitting, from 8:15-8:45 AM during Before Care; and from 3:30-4:15 PM and again from 4:45-5:50 PM during After Care (snack is given in the cafeteria from 4:15-4:45 PM). It is essential that your child have appropriate clothing to be able to go outside and play during those times.
Please label all clothes, backpacks and lunch boxes with your child’s name.
Items left in the cafeteria at the end of the day will be placed in the lost and found box located in the school lobby.
Toys from Home
Toys get lost or broken and for this reason we ask that your child does not bring toys from home. The use of hand-held electronic devices and/or cell phones is not permitted during Before or After Care. The Extended Day Program will not be responsible for lost or broken toys.
Communication with Staff
Please do not hesitate to let us know about any concerns that you may have, suggestions for ideas about how we can improve the program, and/or any information that you think we should know regarding your child. Each child’s wellbeing is our top priority, and the Program staff is dedicated to keeping your children happy and safe.
If you have any questions or for additional information, please contact:
Mia Perna, Director
Extended Day Program Telephone: (202) 255-7701(202) 255-7701
Extended Day Enrollment
- 2014-2015 Extended Day Program: Online Parent Registration Form
- 2014-2015 Extended Day Program: Payment Method Update Form
- 2014-2015 Extended Day Program: Request For Change In Enrollment Status Form