About the Garden:
The Stoddert Garden was started four years ago as a learning lab for life sciences. Community members, students, and staff came together to build the garden from the ground up. The garden has since become a space with six raised beds growing vegetables, a large perennial garden, and two pollinator gardens. In the garden, you can also find herbs, and compost bins, and if you come at the right time of year, egg laying hens!
The Stoddert Garden is both a learning space for students as well as a welcoming, green space for the community. Led by the school’s garden coordinator, Mr. Curt Canada, the Stoddert students learn gardening skills and life science lessons.
Below are some examples of what students will study in the garden this year:
- K: Animals and their habitats.
- 1st: Trees, plants, and animals
- 2nd: Plants, animals, and states of matter
- 3rd: Ecosystems, climate, animal survival
- 4th: Animal and plant structures
- 5th: Ecosystems, food systems, conservation
The PTO’s vice-president of garden and sustainability for school year 2017-18 is Jessica O’Connell.
Help The Garden Grow:
The school’s garden is truly a community effort and is only possible because of an all-hands-on-deck approach to garden care. The garden relies on a strong group of volunteers to keep the garden green and growing. The garden needs volunteers for:
- GARDEN MAINTENANCE
- ART IN THE GARDEN
- FARMERS’ MARKET
- CHICKEN CARE
- …AND ANY OTHER GARDEN TASK THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email Mr. Curt Canada directly.
About Mr. Canada:
My name is Mr. Canada and this is my second year as the garden coordinator. Though I am originally from Charleston West Virginia I have lived in Glover Park for more than 10 years. I have been a part of the Stoddert community since 2000, as substitute teacher and as a teacher intern in Ms Stevenson first grade class.
I hold both a Masters in Elementary Education from American University and a Masters in Social Work from the University of Iowa. I have managed a gardening architectural project in NorthEast DC. For the past nine year, I have been gardening/publicity director for the Outdoor Concert Series here in Glover Park. I am presently a summer volunteer for Glover Park and Burleith Farmer’s Market.
I simply love everything about gardens, student achievement, and community. I look forward to planting inspiration, kindness, and gratitude as a part of the Stoddert educational experience!
- State of the Stoddert Garden Address
- Garden Update & Request from Mr. Canada
- Support Alumnus Project to Build New Garden Benches & Tables
- Mr. Canada’s Look Inside the Stoddert Garden Program!
- Mr. Canada’s January 2019 Garden Update
- Mr. Canada’s Stoddert Garden Winter Education Program
- Garden Update from Mr. Canada
- Signup to Care for a Chicken
- End of Year Garden Update
- Meet Rocky & Annabell – Our School Hens!
- Garden News + Farmer’s Market Starts Tuesday
- Garden Update
- Garden Update: Bees + 5th Grade Project + Volunteers
- Don’t Forget: Composting Bins Available
- Garden Update from Mr. Canada
- Buzz! Buzz! Stoddert Wins Beehive Grant
- Congrats To Jack H. For Earning Stoddert “2018 Best School Garden” In DC
- Stoddert Garden News & Updates
- Composting Returns, Bring Your Compost To The Garden
- Hens Are Here + Volunteers Needed