Extended Day Program
Extended Day Program
Welcome to a fun filled year at the Benjamin Stoddert Elementary School’s Extended Day Program! The following provides pertinent information about the Program’s rules and policies.
The objective of the Program is to provide a safe, relaxed and educational childcare experience for Stoddert students in grades PreK through 5. The primary focus is on outdoor play (weather permitting) although a variety of activities and clubs are also offered so that your child can develop and explore other interests as well. A healthy snack is provided each afternoon, and two snacks are provided on Half Days.
The Director of the Program and the staff are chosen first and foremost for their dedication to children and their desire to create a safe, nurturing, respectful and fun environment for the children under their care. Many (of the staff) are Stoddert Alumni parents, current parents, Stoddert Alumni and/or are teachers in the school and, therefore, have a real stake in seeing that the Program is a success.
The Program offers:
- Morning Care (from 7:30 AM to 8:45 AM)
- After Care (from 3:15 PM to 6:00 PM)
- Part-Time After Care (2 days per week).
- There is a Morning and/or After Care Drop-in Care service available for families enrolled in the Program who need additional days of childcare on an as needed basis. Please provide a minimum of 24 hours advance notice if your child will be going to Morning Drop-In Care. An adult must escort any child attending Morning Drop-In Care into the school building and sign in the child with a staff member.
Your child[ren] must be registered in one of these enrollment options in order to participate in Morning and/or After Care. Click here to access the forms that you must submit in order to enroll your child in the Extended Day Program.
Days of Operation, School Closings and Early Dismissal
- The Extended Day Program operates Monday through Friday on all regular days that classes are held throughout the 10-month school year.
- On Half Days, the Program runs from early dismissal at 12:15 to 6:00 PM. There is an additional fee of $20.00 per child to attend After Care on Half Days
- There is no Morning or After Care on any days that the District of Columbia Public School (DCPS) system is closed.
- There is no After Care if the DCPS system orders early school closing for any reason during the day (e.g. snowstorms).
- There is no Morning Care if the DCPS system calls for a late opening; however, After Care should not be affected.
Fees and Payment Options
- Billing for the Extended Day Program is done on a prospective basis, with the first day of each billing cycle beginning on the first day of each month for the duration of the school year.
- Payment is due for childcare services no later than the fifth day of the month. Payments run from September 5th through June 5th.
- The fee for Morning Care is $65.00 per month per child.
- The fee for After Care is $160.00 per month per child.
- The fee for Part-Time After Care is $80.00 per month per child.
- The fee for Morning Drop-In Care is $10.00 per morning per child.
- The fee for After Care Drop-In is $15.00 per afternoon per child.
- Payments can be made by cash, check, or credit card.
- There is a $1.00 per minute late fee charged for any child[ren] picked up after 6:00 PM. The late fee must be paid, in cash, at the time of pick up.
- Payments are due no later than the 5th of the month whether or not you received a bill. A $25.00 late fee is assessed against all account balances after the 5th of the month.
- Participation in the Extended Day Program may be suspended if monthly fees are not paid in a timely manner. If you are having difficulties paying your fees, please speak to the Director as soon as possible.
- There will be no refunds or pro-rata reductions due to family vacations or dropping out on a given month. A refund, or pro rata reduction may be possible, at the discretion of the Director, if your child has a prolonged (i.e., more than one week) illness.
- If you intend to withdraw your child from the Program, full payment is due unless you provide the Director with 30 days written notice about your intent to withdraw.
- Change in enrollment option may be requested, but requests for change from Part-Time to Full-Time status are made at the discretion of the Director subject to availability of space. Requests for change in enrollment status must be made to the Director, in writing, at least 30 days prior to the change date in order for the proper fees to be applied.
The Extended Day Program is not affiliated with the DCPS breakfast program. If your child is enrolled in the Morning Care Program, you must pay for breakfast with the cafeteria personnel and the Extended Day staff will monitor them. If your child is not part of the Morning Care Program, YOU must escort your child in for breakfast and monitor them. Breakfast does not start until 8:00 AM; The Extended Day staff is not responsible for any child on the school grounds not enrolled and participating in the Morning Care Program.
Security and Safety
It is of utmost importance that your child be safe and secure while in the Program. For this reason, the following security measures have been implemented:
- Each child must be picked up and signed out of After Care by an authorized person. Only persons named on your child’s registration form can pick up and sign out your child.
- If alternative arrangements for pick up have been or need to be made, the Director or member of the staff must be informed in person, in writing or by phone prior to pick up. No child will be released to a person who does not satisfy conditions 1 or 2!
- Children attending the Program may not leave the Stoddert School grounds for classes, teams, or for other reasons without an email or a permission note with your signature.
The Program tries to create a caring environment where the children feel safe and protected. In order to foster an appreciation of their rights as well as the rights of others we will follow certain guidelines regarding discipline. Inappropriate language and/or behavior with children or adults is unacceptable. Upon the first instance of such behavior, the staff of the extended day Program will communicate with the child/ren involved to find a resolution. If the behavior recurs, the parent or guardian of the child will be notified. If the behavior is repeated again, a mandatory conference will be arranged between the director and the parent/guardian. If the behavior continues the child will be removed from the program. Behavior that endangers the health or safety of any child or adult may result in immediate suspension and/or termination from participation in the Program. Our main goal is to maintain a harmonious environment.
Because the bulk of our time is spent outside, please dress your child appropriately for the weather. Send extra clothing that can be put on your child if necessary during inclement days.
Please label all clothes, backpacks and lunch boxes.
Toys from Home
Toys get lost or broken and for this reason we do NOT recommend that children bring toys from home. Hand held electronic devices are only allowed on days that the weather does not allow the children to go outside. The use of cell phones during Morning or After Care is not permitted. Extended Day will not be responsible for lost or broken toys.
Communication with Staff
Please do not hesitate to let us know about any concerns that you may have, suggestions for ideas about how we can improve the program, and/or any information that you think we should know regarding your child. Each child’s wellbeing is our top priority, and the staff of the Program is dedicated to keeping your children happy and safe.
If you have any questions or for additional information:
Extended Day Program Telephone: (202) 255-7701
Mia Perna, Director email@example.com