After School Activities
2013 Spring Semester After School Classes
** BOOK CLUBS Added First meeting March 13th, 2013. See below ***
The Spring semester of classes began the week of February 4. Classes offered through the Extended Day Program are the following. Download the full Class Schedule here.
- Homework Club
- Kid Pics
- Girls on the Run
- Fitness Bootcamp
- Mad Science
- Robotics I
- Garden Club
- Advanced Spanish
- French for French Speakers
- Modern Dance
- Pre-Ballet/Creative Dance
Please complete and return a 2013 Spring Class Sign Up & Schedule to Mia Perna at mbsperna[at]gmail.com, no later than Friday, February 1, so that she can prepare the rosters for the class/es that your child/ren will be attending during the spring semester.
Please note that registration and payment for Karate, Advanced Spanish, Dance, Mad Science, Fitness Bootcamp, Chess, and Robotics must be made directly with the provider.
- Karate - Offered through Kaizen Karate. If you have any questions call (301) 938-2711.
- Yoga – Offeren through Kaizen Yoga. If you have any questions call (301) 938-2711.
- Girls on the Run – Class size is limited to 15 girls. Link for on-line registration that begins on February 11, to follow.
- Advanced Spanish – If you have any doubts or questions about the appropriate class for your child, or to
register and arrange payment of the $90.00 fee, please email the instructor at Emilywander[at]gmail.com.
- Dance – Please go to “register” at www.mydancediscovery.com and click on Stoddert Elementary School registration or email the instructor, Yvonne Hamm at ddmail[at]mydancediscovery.com.
- Mad Science – Register at www.dc.madscience.org.
- Fitness Bootcamp – www.hautniveautraining.com or email reggie[at]hautniveautraining.com.
- Chess - Offered through Silver Knights Chess. Register at www.silverknightschess.com.
- NEW Robotics (see below) - Register at http://infamousrobotics.com/Stoddert.html or email classes[at]InfamousRobotics.com with any questions.
The fees for all of the French classes, Garden Club, Thursday Spanish classes, Kids Pics, and Photo Shop will be added to your March Extended Day invoice. With the exception of Garden Club, the fee for each session of classes is $50.00 for the semester. There is no fee for Homework Club or Art.
New Class – Robotics
We will not be offering Bricks 4Kidz this semester, but we are adding a class on Robotics. The class will last for 8 weeks, and there will be two sessions running concurrently on Friday from 4:30-5:30 pm.
Robotics 1 (grades K-1): Through interaction with robots, kids will learn about what makes one robot different from another, how different terrain can affect robots and how well they move. Hands-on activities will breakdown different parts that make robots move in a simple way that will allow everyone to understand and learn how these different parts work. These activities also build on the confidence and imagination of every child as an individual and as a group with their classmates.
Robotics 101 (grades 2-5): Ready to begin exploring the wonders of the field of Robotics. This Introduction to Robotics will teach students through hands-on learning about the three main fields that go into robotics. We will use robots and various pieces that go into robots to build a solid foundation of understanding in robotics. We will have in class exercises for an introduction to programming, the various motors that can be used, common sensors and robots on other planets.
New Class – Stoddert’s New Book Club Program
Readers will be grouped by age/reading level and select appropriate books. K- 1st will select an author (like Kevin Henkes or Dr. Seuss) or early reading picture books. 2nd-3rd graders might select Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry or Sideways Stories From the Wayside School by Louis Sachar. Fourth and 5th graders might select The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall or No Talking by Andrew Clements. Then each group will meet in two weeks (on March 27th) to talk about the book, do a book related activity, and select a new book. Each book club will have at least two parent leaders. Each student will need to get the book but the Book Club team will help identify options (e.g., Stoddert Library, DC Public Library, a Stoddert book swap, or facilitate a group order from Amazon).
First Book Club meeting: Wednesday March 13 at 3:30 p.m. in the Kindergarten wing (please note that snacks will not be served due to the meeting location so eat a snack before coming.). Open to kids in aftercare.
Please send an email to email@example.com with any questions or to sign your child up. Please indicate grade so we can be sure to have enough parent leaders and activity supplies.
Please feel free to email Mia Perna at mbsperna[at]gmail.com or talk to her during after care if you have any questions.