The following is a message to all Stoddert families regarding official emergency communications….
Families of Stoddert,
As you know by now, Stoddert is closed today because of a burst pipe, which flooded both the first and second floor of the school, including the cafeteria. Here is a message from Principal Bryant explaining what happened. They anticipate that school will re-open tomorrow (Thursday, November 9, 2017). As your PTO presidents, we both went to the school this morning to help provide support to the administration in communicating information to parents. We understand that many of the communications went out last minute, and wanted to take this opportunity to reinforce emergency protocols and how parents are notified.
First, in the event of a school closure or school emergency, Stoddert local administration will send a robo-call/text/e-mail to parents. This is based on contact information that the Stoddert office has for your family. If you did not receive a robo-call this morning, it is imperative that when the school re-opens, you contact the Stoddert administration office to let them know that you did not receive the message.
You may have received e-mails and phone calls from your teachers, room parents and/or the PTO. These were only meant as a courtesy and an attempt to reach parents through additional means. All official emergency notifications are sent through the school’s system.
The PTO uses the school’s website and the e-mail blast list associated with the weekly Chalkboard to communicate non-emergency issues and events going on at school. Emergencies and closures, including snow delays, will be communicated via DCPS and through the school’s official system. This is why it’s critically important that your contact information is up to date with the front office.
Second, our local school staff in the building at Stoddert cannot make the decision to delay or cancel school without approval of both the DCPS central office and the Deputy Mayor of Education. They cannot inform parents until this official decision is made, as was the case in this morning’s decision to delay and then close school and notify parents.
Thank you for your patience while the school staff and city make sure that the building is safe for our children to return.
Jen Perry and Lisa McCluskey
Stoddert PTO Co-Presidents