The DC Deputy Mayor for Education’s office is launching the DC Cross-Sector Collaboration Task Force. The Task Force is charged with developing a report for the Mayor with clear and fair recommendations on how to improve the coherence of public education in DC for families and increase the collaboration across and among public schools to improve effectiveness, efficiency, and student outcomes. The Task Force will focus its efforts on identifying key aspects of education that would benefit from cross-sector –DC Public School (DCPS) and public charter schools – efforts.
The Task Force will be a two year effort, and will tackle issues in a phased approach. The task force will be comprised of between 23-25 members with diverse representation of LEAs, district agencies, and public school parents. Membership will be balanced across sectors, demographics and ward of residence. Members of the Task Force have not yet been identified and they are collecting names over the next month. If you are interested in participating in the Task Force or wish to nominate someone, please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: name of person being nominated, nominee contact information and ward of residence, and why the person would be a good member of the Task Force.
Public input is critical to ensuring that we develop sound and meaningful recommendations. There will be multiple opportunities to engage with the DME and Task Force members throughout the process. Details and timing of each will be released at a later date.
- Participate in a Focus Group. Opportunity to provide in-depth issue-specific input into various policy options and strategies being considered by the Task Force.
- Attend community meetings. Opportunity to provide feedback on policies and strategies being considered by the Task Force. Both small and large scale meeting will be organized.
- Participate in an online survey. Opportunity to provide feedback on-line.
- Testify. Opportunity to speak at with members of the Task Force at a public roundtable held by the Task Force.
- Participate in Local Education Agency (LEA) meetings. Opportunity for school leaders and staff to engage and provide ongoing feedback.
For more information on the initiative please visit the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education (DME) website at dme.dc.gov/collaboration.